Monday, 22 December 2025

278. Unctuous

 


Unctuous

(Insincerely flattering or smug)


I used to get carried away by good praise,

Not stopping to see if it was said just for show.

I never paused to think or analyse,

If the sweetness I heard was unctuous though.

Once at a CA conference fest,

I was excited, eager, doing my best.

A tax book author was the chief guest there,

The audience could ask questions

so I dared.

I asked a few, then got on stage,

Part of a fun session, centre of the page.

My presence was seen, the attention came,

And honestly, I enjoyed the moment and fame.

A CA who once couldn’t take me in his firm

Later became family extended term.

At a function, my mother softly mentioned,

“My daughter is also doing CA,” well-intentioned.

He smiled and said, “Who doesn’t know her?”

Then came a line that felt unsure:

“She’s the one who asks a lot of questions, right?”

I felt taken aback it didn’t feel right.

I had done many things worth being known,

Yet that one remark cut me down to the bone.

From effort and work and things I had done,

I was reduced to someone who questions, not one.

Another time, with my uncle so near,

I clicked his pictures with love and cheer.

When I asked him how he liked them so,

He replied in an unctuous, casual flow:

“Why don’t you marry a photographer instead?

At least you will get free food,” he jokingly said.

It hurt - it was careless, easy to say,

But it taught me something clear that day:

When words sound sweet but leave you small,

That’s unctuous praise - not praise at all !!!


✍️ © Priyanka Kamath

22 Dec 2025

No comments:

Post a Comment

324. Dads 74 th Birth anniversary

 Remembering My Dad on His 74th Birth Anniversary Dear Aanu, Happy 74th Birthday to you above, Wrapped forever in our prayers and love. Thou...